By John A. Morrow
Date of issue- July 5, 1998
Number in edition- 950
Artist’s proofs- 50
Standard frame size- 18×24
Paper-acid free, Quintessence
Printer- Ryan Press, Ogdensburg, NY
In this watercolor painting “Vintage” formally known as “Idle Oaks” glides gracefully across the serenity of early morning waters. Piloted by Dan Morrow, this 28 foot, long deck launch was built by Hutchinson Boat Works in 1924, and is credited as being responsible for the beginning of the Antique Boat Show held annually at the Thousand Island Boat Museum.
In the background, from a similar era, is the distinctive silhouette of the Power House. Situated on a small island at the east end of Heart Island, that is joined by an arched stone bridge. Completed in 1900, this towering chateau building was designed to house the coal steam generators that would supply electrical power to Boldt Castle, In the highest tower was located an illuminated clock and musical bell chimes. In the 1930’s a spark from a 4th of July celebration burned the roof off the building causing it to severely deteriorate until it was recently restored to its original grandeur by the Thousand Island Bridge Authority. “Vintage” was donated to the Thousand Island Boat Museum by Dan and Lynn Morrow of Paradise Island, Ontario.